Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Have a tenant that moved in about 5 months ago. Standard…

Have a tenant that moved...
Have a tenant that moved in about 5 months ago. Standard practice prior to a new tenant moving in, I call in a plumber to snake all drains so I know lines are clear as rules & regs of building state, which are signed by tenant, tenant is responsible for operation of plumbing, specifically tenant is responsible to clear standard clogged drains during tenancy (not mainline stack clogs which are landlord's responsibility). Since tenant moved in, tenant has complained 3 times that tub is draining slow. Giving tenant benefit of the doubt, a plumber was called in to snake tub line. The 3rd time plumber was called, I had camera put down line to video drain line so I would without doubt know if line was clear or if there was a problem that needed to be corrected. Video showed line was clear. Tenant was there at time and plumber and I showed tenant line was draining properly. A week later tenant is calling saying tub drain not draining properly again. I spoke with Master plumber who said that after only a week passing since last snaking and video taken, there is no way line is clogged except if there is an operational issue. Tenant is demanding that I do something. Is the landlord still responsible at this point when even the video of the drain line shows no issues?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
Is the drain, in fact, malfunctioning?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
As of a week ago, when I was there with plumber, no.
Thank you for the additional information.
I would suggest someone actually go to the unit to observe the drain in action. If it is funtioning normally, then obviously, there is no further action requires or obligation on your part.
If it is not, then the lease will control and, if it is a non mainline clog, it is their responsability to repair.
If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
Loren, Lawyer
Loren, Lawyer