Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

A landlord begins a lease with a tenant knowing there are…

Customer Question
A landlord begins a...

A landlord begins a lease with a tenant knowing there are code violating plumbing issues with the property. These issues lead to an extended period of time where the property isn't suitable to live in- specifically no plumbing or running water. This costs the tenant thousands in additional lodging funds. The landlord refuses to reimburse the tenant for expenses and the plumbing issues remain. The landlord also refuses to refund the deposit and suggests the tenant abandons the apartment due to living conditions. The tenant has a specials needs child and a pet. What steps should the tenant take next?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Florida.

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Definite maintenance and upkeep issues.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

One year lease. My initial message explains the situation.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/7/2018
Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
On review of your facts, you have a good case.A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage.You stand to recover not only your actual losses (compensatory damages) but also interest, costs and legal fees. on occasion special damages (punitive damages) are also available.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”