Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Apartment complex told us yesterday we had to be out by

Customer Question
April 30th as our lease...
Apartment complex told us yesterday we had to be out by April 30th as our lease would be up. We were originally thinking we had until May because we moved in Feb. and signed a 15 month lease. So since she stated out by April we found a place in another state but have to move in by 3/31. However, the landlord is saying we’re still responsible for the last month’s rent. The apartment complex failed to give us a written notice prior to our 60 days to let us know that we had to be out by April 30th and needed to let them know what we were going to do. Is this enough to excuse us for paying the last month’s rent since she said be out by April 30th and failed to give us written notice ?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/8/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

I'm not quite following... your lease says it runs from when to when? This shouldn't really be a matter of "we were [] thinking we had until"... leases have formal start and end dates and those have to be honored unless the parties jointly agree otherwise.

Our lease says from Feb. 2nd to May 2nd but the tenant said we needed to be out by April 30th because our lease was out.

What does "our lease was out" mean?