Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Is a phone a legal document for paper work? I told the

Customer Question
Is a phone a...

Is a phone a legal document for paper work? I told the landlord we where moving this month but never sent paper work out and she never sent a eviction notice

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

I live in Springfield Vermont

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/6/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

K thank you. Please help asap

Great, thank you! The system may automatically ask you for a phone call; however, it’s not required that you take it. Bear with me a moment while I review…

Thanks so much for your patience. If I may ask, did the landlord require that you provide written notice of your move out?

No, I thought it was required

I see. So, generally it's not required that you provide written notice of your move out. A tenant can simply move off the property unless they have agreed to provide a written notice to the landlord. Even if they did agree, if the landlord was put on notice that the tenant was going to be moving out, a court will still consider that phone call to be appropriate notice. Does that make sense? How else can I help you today?

she can lock me out even know I signed a year lease

Did you vacate the premises entirely?

No I still live in the apartment

Ok, the answer is no, she can't lock you out. Until you vacate the premises entirely, they cannot engage in a "self-help" eviction.

here’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a letter that puts the landlord on notice that their eviction notice is unlawful (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

How else can I help you today?