Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I’m under contract for a condo and yesterday was my closing…

I’m under contract for a...
I’m under contract for a condo and yesterday was my closing day, so my realtor and i went to look at the property one more time and the condo is different that how we saw it when it was inspected, the carpet had dog pee all over the place and it smell like air freshener and dog pee all over, i didn’t close on the house, what should I do? This is different that when I saw the property and I got it inspected
3/1/2018
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Have you spoken to the seller about this? If so, what was their response?

No i haven’t as first I would like to know what I can do, I already got an estimate on the carpet and so fair is above 4K

Thank you. The seller had a duty to maintain the property and if there is damage to the carpet as a result of this failure to do so and allowing a dog to urinate on it, it needs to be cleaned or repaired. You have a right to refuse to close and ask that the closing date is extended, so that they replace the carpeting, assuming it cannot be clean or they close BUT give you a credit at closing and have you do this after the fact.

What if I don’t want them to give me credit and I want them to repair it
I’m not sure what is under the carpet so now it maybe more things to fix and the credit may no cover all

You would advise the seller that they need to fix this and agree to extend the closing date and speak with your lender, about this.

I don’t have a lender as I’m cash buyer

So did you close yesterday?

No

So you advise the seller of this and that you are not closing until they repair and remedy this and replace the carpet. They clearly knew and allowed this to happen and likely hoped you would not recognize it but it was not discovered and they will need to correct it if they want to sell.

If you are paying cash, why not propose that the sale price be reduced by the cost to repair and you just do this on your own, so you have control over the carpet, quality, color, etc?

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

No thank you so much

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

LandlordTenantAnswer