Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I lie in state housing I am being accuse of doing things in…

Customer Question
I lie in state...

I lie in state housing I am being accuse of doing things in the building. Spilling coffee in lobby not cleaning it up.Defaceing a sign with names, They claim I throw my trash mail on the floor near trash bin. And smokeing in my apartment even though I quit. I almost lost my best cause his copd. They are totally railroading me The other things I have never done. I am being threated with eviction cause they believe in a group of bullyers. I have been living here 18 yrs never had a problem. What do I do am almost 63.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Thats just it I dont know where to turn or do.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
2/16/2018
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this is happening.

To evict you, they would have to go to court and prove that you've broken the lease. But I realize that the prospect of going to court to defend yourself is daunting, even when the law is on your side. Especially when you have people telling lies. They would need some evidence of your mail on the floor, such as pictures showing it there. If they're pulling your mail out of the bin to set you up, you may want to stop using a public bin for the trash. You can ask the apartment complex to produce evidence of any of the things they say you've been doing. After all, in this day of smart phones, if someone saw you defacing a sign or smoking in an area where it's not allowed, it would take them only a few pictures to make a video or take a picture to prove it. Not having anything but their word tends to show that they're lying.

Also, you can sue the bullies for defamation of character and intentional interference with contract. They're trying to get you evicted when they have no legal justification for doing so, and that's not legal. Making untrue statements about someone that damages their reputation is also actionable. They've accused you of defacing property and littering, which are both crimes. That means, if you can prove they made the accusations, you can win the case without showing that you've lost money as a result. And the judge can order them to pay you punitive damages, which might make them think twice about making these accusations in the future.

You do not need a lawyer to sue in Small Claims. The Massachusetts district court has forms online you can use.

Here are forms and instructions:

https://www.mass.gov/lists/district-court-forms

Another option is to send a "cease and desist" letter, explaining that you will sue if they do not stop this behavior immediately.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know without choosing a rating. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.