Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have a question, so I’ve been living in a house that I can…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question, so I’ve been living in a house that I can not live in because of pet allergies, my roommate brought in a cat and I haven’t been able to stay at the place I’ve been paying rent for due to these allergies but the leasing company said there’s nothing I can do about getting out of the lease

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Nebraska

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I’ve only contacted the company and they told me the only way out of it is to fully buy out the lease but that would mean everyone would have to move out not just me?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have also contacted the company about the condition of the house being filthy mainly because of the cat and the parties they have thrown and the leasing company said there was nothing they could do?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
2/6/2018
Lawyer: Lori, FL attorney replied 5 months ago
Lori
Lori, FL attorney

Hello. Let me see if I can assist.

Give me a moment to review and type my reply.

Who signed the lease as to the tenant? Did you and your roommate both sign the lease? did you both put up the security deposit?

If the lease is in your name only, you will need to have your roommate take over the lease payments in full. It would be better to have the roommate sign a new lease with the landlord - but not likely. If roommate refuses, you will have to tell the roommate that the roommate needs to leave (or get rid of the cat).

You should not have to pay rent for a place that you are unable to live in.

Have I answered all you questions?

If so, please be sure to accept my response and post a positive rating