Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have accepted a new job in PA. My Landlord in IL is giving…

I have accepted a new...
I have accepted a new job in PA. My Landlord in IL is giving me a hard time about my lease and won't let me break it? I need to move is there anything I can do?
1/23/2018
legalgems
legalgems, attorney

Good Day!A few minutes please as I review your question so I can provide you with legal information. Thanks!

ok, thank you

Thank you;

unfortunately the lease is binding for the entire term of the lease on both parties.

The landlord may of course agree to allow the tenant out of the lease without penalty (usually if rents have gone up and the landlord knows they can rent it quickly, for higher rents; or just because the landlord is a nice guy/gal so to speak).

Otherwise the options are:

1. check the lease to see if there is a termination clause; often there is an early termination clause where the lease may be terminated if the tenant pays a fee-usually 1-2 months worth of rent. This releases the tenant from future obligation

2. check the lease to see if subleasing is allowed

3. break the lease. This will expose the tenant to liability for the remaining term of the lease so the tenant would have to keep paying rent. However, the landlord does have a duty to mitigate; which means they must make a good faith effort to release the unit, and if they do, they would deduct any money received from the new tenant , from the money owing from the original tenant. So for example if the rental is vacant for 1 week, the tenant would be liable for that week's rent, plus advertising costs (to find a new tenant); then if a new tenant is found and the rent is the same or higher than the original rent, the original tenant is off the hook; if the new rent is lower, the owner may sue the original tenant for the difference in rent, for the duration of the lease.

If there is a surrender (whereby the parties agree both can walk away without further liability) it is important to have that in writing otherwise it will be difficult to prove should the landlord later sue.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars *****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

legalgems
legalgems, attorney