Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am having issues with landlord retaliation. Michigan.

I am having issues...

I am having issues with landlord retaliation

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Yes issues with maintenance. When I requested repair the Lanlord became upset and now wants me to leave without giving me my security deposit. I have been residing at the house for less than 30 days.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/23/2018
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Are you under a fixed term lease or are you month to month?

.

Has the landlord given you any written notice to vacate?

.

What are the issues you are requesting maintenance on?

.

.

thanks

I am under a 2 year fixed term lease. He is requesting that I leave the premise via text message, within 30 days after requesting repairs such as: Garbage Disposal, No GFCI electrical outlet in kitchen, plumbing issues, leaky toliet

The text message means nothing legally... So you can safely ignore it. And as long as you haven't violated any of the terms of the lease, he can't force you to leave..

.

As for the problems, you can tell him that he either repairs them or you will call Code Enforcement to come and inspect and he can deal with them... Landlords HATE it when you call Code on them as they can ding them for every little thing that they find and force repairs.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
I called the City regarding code enforcement and was told that code inspection is only done for brand new homes.
I feel harrassed about leaving and feel guilty that I asked him to do the repairs

You must have called the Housing Inspector.... completely different department. Code specifically inspects existing houses and has the authority to compel owners to make repairs or face penalties like fines and even criminal prosecution if they refuse.

.

So you can simply ignore the person unless you just want to move... He can't force you to leave and you have every right to a place that is in good shape since you are paying for a liveable place free of any unreasonable problems..