Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Broeker I talk to you the other day about a landlord tenant…

Hello this is Steven broeker...
Hello this is Steven broeker I talk to you the other day about a landlord tenant question the tenants are brother came and look through all the stuff and didn't even want any of it gave me forty bucks to take it to the dump and I have witnesses that said all that and everything so am I going to be in trouble by taking it to the dump and cleaning up the room
1/21/2018
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello again,

.

That is kind of a grey area now because you really haven't had anyone with legal authority over the estate tell you that they are abandoning the property. But realistically if the brother is the only one who might show up on behalf of the estate, then you are probably ok in just getting rid of everything if nothing is worth anything.

.

But if it were me, I would probably move it all to one area and work around it for a week or so and send a certified letter out to the brother saying that you are storing it for a week in case he changes his mind and then will dispose of it as he directed you to do.. That creates a papertrail for you in case a child or somebody else shows up and tries to raise a stink about you getting rid of the property..

.

.

thanks

barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney