Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have signed rent agreement for 6 months (Feb - July) today…

I have signed rent...

I have signed rent agreement for 6 months (Feb - July) today in the morning but due to new circumstances I would like to resign.A) Is it possible without any consequences ? Or B) should I rent at least for 2 months and write right now resignation letter? Or C) I have to rent now for full 6 months

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

And of course - I want to stay honest with this situation.

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No - no issues. All is OK. I just decided to quickly before consulting...

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

... no ... and what is the cost of the advice right now?

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Landlord-Tenant Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

OK. I just found your page and sure will keep it - but let me think over my question to prepare better for this consultation. Thanks. A

1/21/2018
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Have you paid anything towards the lease?

.

Can you tell me what state this is in?

.

.

thanks

No - I have not paid anything yet. I just signed the rent agreement , scanned and send it by email to the landlord today in the morning. Nothing more.

Ok, I am going to go over two different things... legality and reality..

.

Legally, the landlord can hold you liable the instant you sign the lease.. If you break the lease he can sue you for any lost rent until he re-rents the property up to the full lease term.

.

In reality, if you haven't paid anything, and you disappear, it is very unlikely that the landlord is going to do anything simply because it is expensive to try to sue someone in court to get a judgment that you may never be able to collect on.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Thanks :). I am not going to run. I will try to indemnify if they loose anything. I am landlord too in other city :)
am I liable for whole 6 months period or can I simply resign and then there is some period (1 or 2 months) of notification after which I would not be liable legally?

Ok, then legally you are only liable for any lost rent until they re-rent. So if they re-rent in a month or two, that is all they could hold you liable for.

.

So the sooner you notify them you are breaching, the sooner they can advertise and find a new tenant to limit their damages.

.

.

thanks

barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
OK. Thanks. AP
barristerinky
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney