Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

If we have had a mice infestation for over a year and we…

If we have had...

If we have had a mice infestation for over a year and we have let the landlord know over and over. The only thing they have done is set mouse traps. The mice are still here and there are mice droppings all over the property.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Kansas, Sheridan Ridge Townhomes

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

The landlord is supposed to take care of that

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/20/2018
LandlordTenantAnswer
Good afternoon. Do you know why the landlord has not brought in pest control to resolve this?
They have brought in there maintenance to set traps but it’s a foundation issue
Thank you. If they are unable to cure this and the mice and droppings continue, you could argue that the rental is not habitable and there are health concerns. You can use this as a basis to break the lease and vacate. Even though it has to do with the foundation it does not mean is should continue so you can demand and ask that they release you or go after them and sue.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

LandlordTenantAnswer