Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I just found out that the building that I'm living in is…

Good morning I just found...
Good morning I just found out that the building that I'm living in is filed under a Cooperative dwelling and I want to know if the chairman or president of the board isn't a tenant here is that legal. And I also read that Cooperative buildings have to have meetings we haven't had a meeting since I've been here over 17 years and that the board has to be elected by the tenant and this person that says he's the chairman and the president of the board does not live here
1/20/2018
Loren, Lawyer

A coop is basically "corporate ownership" where the actual real estate is owned by a corporation and the tenants actually own shares rather than the real estate.

If they fail to meet the corporate requirements, such as annual meetings and elections, it could invalidate any action taken by the board and officers.

If the bylaws state the officers and board must be residents then they are in violation and their actions may be without legal authority.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Okay how do I go about finding out the bylaws for this building I have to go down to the courts?

Try requesting it from the management office.

If you are not a shareholder, then you may need to get them from a shareholder.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer
Loren, Lawyer