Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

90% of my tenants owe me back rent, plus I have a lot of…

Okay, 90% of my tenants...
Okay, 90% of my tenants owe me back rent, plus I have a lot of judgments on ones that didn’t pay and moved out after being evicted for non payment it is an astonishing amount of money, the utilities are included in rent as I can’t separate them so I pay for them out of their rent. All other utilities are on and okay. So they turned off electric as you know and the tenants there now rigged the electricity so they had electricity illegally. Now the fire inspector caught them as well as with a Gas fired generator in the building which is very dangerous! The house is like 150 years old. I have worked feverishly for 20 years making improvements. The fire inspector has wanted the house shut down for years but I always made the repairs he wanted done, leaving him with no grounds to shut it down. Well last night was the opportunity. So now everyone is displaced at my expense and it was the tenants that made the foolish decision to “jump the box” so they would have electricity which I’m told is a very dangerous thing to do. I was not there to witness or know about any of this.
1/19/2018
QuickEasyLegalHelp

Understood. What is the question? (knowing a specific question allows me to do the very best job for you)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well it seems I am in a lot of trouble because of the lawyer situation and the foolishness of my tenants who also owe me money. This is why I had to file bankruptcy. My tenants initiated this whole chain reaction including the building being shut down what is my recourse and how do I address them? They are blowing up my phone!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My tenants

You immediately file eviction notices (even though they have all been - in reality - taken out of the building) you need to go through the legal process to evict all of the ones who owe you money.

Your recourse will be going after each one in turn in court. You will have to file civil law suits against each of them, for the damages they have caused.

You can also go to the police to report the crime of the gas generator so the DA can (potentially) prosecute them for endangering the lives of everyone who was in the building at the time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think I know who did it but no one will tell me. Okay that I can do. But how do I address them? What do I say? They are send me hostile messages. Like it’s not their fault.

Of course it is their fault. First you need to make sure of exactly who it was that did this. Then you evict them (following the procedures in your lease agreement with them). Then, once that is complete, you go to court and file a lawsuit against them.

For now, I would focus on keeping the peace until you have some HARD evidence of who did this and you can build a case for them to be responsible to cover the damages.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay so don’t reply to them?

That's not what I am saying. I am saying that someone has "played dirty" and now you need to find out who that is. So if you can play this to your advantage then you can find out who committed the crime that caused the fire inspector to finally have grounds to shut down your project/home.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m going to ask the last question but I’ll rate first

Okay, thanks, ***** ***** glad we are in the groove now.

QuickEasyLegalHelp
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh okay got it! Funny I use the term groove a lot lol!

LOL! Me too.

See you in the next question!!

QuickEasyLegalHelp
QuickEasyLegalHelp
QuickEasyLegalHelp, Attorney