Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I gave my property manager the termination at the end of the…

Customer Question
I gave my property...

I gave my property manager the termination at the end of the term.. 2/28/18 I have repeatedly asked for the contact list for my tenants. They say it is a "privacy issue" and cannot share the contact list with me, the owner of the properties. I need to instruct the tenants on where to start sending

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas I am the owner and will manage my own properties. This should have not been taken off the leases. I have never had any mgmt co do this. It is a power trip with this guy. But I own those leases and that is legally my information about the people occupying my properties.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have contacted my attorney and sent a certified letter and he has received and acknowledged the termination. Just says he will not give me the tenant info until Feb 28. Which is never done, the tenant needs a heads up on all of the new info for the new company taking over.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No we have done everything on our part the legal way and his contract is up on 2/28 which we patiently waited for. But now he's mad and wants to make this really difficult and its my income. I don't think he can disrupt it like this legally/

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/18/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I can imagine that giving this information to you specifically wasn't in your contract, but the bot***** *****ne is that a court would probably force this person to give you this information because the names and addresses of the tenants is your legal right; not theirs. There are no privacy issues at stake here because you're the owner and operator of the property.

With that said, to avoid going to court, you should think about what contractual rights you do have. This appears to be a violation of the implied covenant (promise) of good faith and fair dealing. Under the Uniform Commercial Code Section 1-304, every contract comes with implied promises from both parties that they are going to be acting fairly toward one another. The failure of one party to act fairly toward other can result in a breach of contract. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because you can just purchase, download, and go. Click here to get started.

What other questions did you have for me today?

Thats what I thought but he just keeps harping that he has an obligation to the tenant to keep their info private. Which makes no sense since he has been terminated and I will be taking over my own properties and I should have been privileged to that info all along. I don't get where he is getting this "privacy issue" non sense

There's no legal obligation to keep the info private. I would recommend asking him what legal authority he can cite that gives him the right to do this. Lawyers do that with regularity when someone is being intransigent with a request.

Did you have any other questions for me at all?