Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My friend is having movers get her stuff out of the rental…

Customer Question
My friend is having movers...
My friend is having movers get her stuff out of the rental in barataria Louisiana in the Jefferson Parish. At the same time she wants to change the locks and there’s a guy in her place who is not a roommate or on the lease. Can she call the police if he won’t leave or does she need to evict him.If so what is the eviction process. She’s moving feb 2nd
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/18/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience. The answer to your question is yes, she could call the police if this person is not on the lease or is not a roommate. The only trouble is if this person is a friend of a person that is on the lease. If a person is staying with someone who is on the lease, they can stay there, but usually it's up to a maximum of two weeks before they must either leave or sign a lease.

If the man is just a person who does not otherwise have authorization to stay, then your friend can call the sheriff's department (the department that typically handles these issues) right away. This person is a trespasser and should be removed.

did you have any other questions for me today?