Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I live in FL and my lease had ended. I lived at the

apartment complex for appro six...
I live in FL and my lease had ended. I lived at the apartment complex for appro six months after the lease ended, and was going month to month. I never agreed to a new lease, and after four months of being gone they are charging me breaking a lease which they stated expired sin July 2018. Can they just renew my lease?? And can they make me pay for breaking a lease in I didn’t know I had??
1/18/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Did your lease have a provision causing it to automatically renew?

Have you asked the landlord to produce a copy of a signed lease covering the time period they claim you have breached?

I am attempted to, however they said they have sold the balance of the agreement. They referred me to the debt collection agency

Have you been contacted by the third party debt collector?

they called me and sent me a email with what I allegedly owe, however they have not produced the contract or the lease

Thank you for the additional information.

Your landlord may not unilaterally extend or renew your lease.

Under federal law the debt collector. are required to send you proof of the obligation.

Send the debt collector a certified letter demanding a copy of the lease and any other written proof they have of the debt. If they can not produce the proof then they can not prove the claim in court and you can tell them that any further communication from them will be treated legally as harassment, pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Lawyer