Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

We broke a lease on a property recently. We agreed the

We broke a lease...

We broke a lease on a property recently. We agreed the break-lease fee and that we would continue paying rent until a new tenant was found. A new tenant was found and we were refunded the rent overpayment. Suddenly, the agent says the tenant cannot move in for another week and we must pay the rent for that extra week. Was our ob ligation discharged and final once we received the refund or must we pay? It's $700 so not trivial.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

Queensland thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

In what sense? I have notification of payment of the refund for rent overpaid and the refund in the bank.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it

1/18/2018
Infolawyer, Attorney
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.The condition was met and obligation discharged. The breach by new tenant does not reinstate your earlier obligation. Effectively landlord released you.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as experts are not employees of the site and do not get any credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Thank you. May I have that on email please?
Very welcome. You can access it anytime here or copy and paste.Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. Happy new year!
Infolawyer, Attorney