Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I was a resident in New York City for 40+ years. I left New…

I was a resident...

I was a resident in New York City for 40+ years. I left New York four years ago because I could not afford the rental market. I am devastated living in Florida. I am 71 years old, and my daughter lives in NYC and just had twins. I do not belong in Florida. How can I receive some assistance in NY?

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

I'm renting an apartment in Florida. I guess I could break the lease if I had to. My problem is that no one wants to hire me. I was working as an "S" corp. but business has been terrible. I can do my business from anywhere.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

What property? I'm renting in Delray Beach from an owner.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is it possible to find housing in NYC whether it be a Mitchell Lama or a Section 8 subsidized bl.dg. I have social security and that's it for now.

1/18/2018
QuickEasyLegalHelp

I am an attorney expert and a former District Attorney, and I will be helping you. Nice to meet you.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not create an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I will be answering your question with the expectation that if you are satisfied with my answer, you will give a positive rating.

I can see that you just joined Just Answer, Welcome!

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys do not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If that works for you, let me know and we can proceed : )

I want to make sure I understand what you are asking:

How can you find out more information about low income housing in NYC?

Let me know which parts I got right and fill me in on the other parts and we'll go from there. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK. THere has to be some way for me to return to New York. I understand there are many terrific bldgs. where landlords keep apts. empty for a specific reason. I am 71 years of age, and when I can, I work as a legal recruiter. It's been very difficult for me in Florida. Can't get work, and have not placed anyone in 3 years time. I'm very unhappy here as my family is in New York and my daughter just gave birth to twin girls. How an I get the F- - - out of here.I live on my social security.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Section 8 is a "waiting list"? What is subsidized. How much would I have to pay for a one bedroom apt.?

Great. I am so sorry to hear about your living situation as well as working circumstances. I am happy to help you do some research on low income housing in NYC.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If you want to be placed in a law firm, I can introduce you to many top firms.

Here is info in Queens: http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dfta/downloads/pdf/publications/HousingQueens2017v2.pdf

It specifically mentions Mitchell Lama!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, NOT QUEENS. Manhattan

Oh I see.

Hold please while I research for you....

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I have to commute, that will cost me. I don't want a car, I don't want to pay insurance, I want to make it easy

Here is info for Manhattan:

http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dfta/downloads/pdf/publications/HousingManhattan2017v2.pdf

I recommend searching senior housing as there are many options available for over 65 (and you mentioned you are 71!)

Here is a Rent Calculator for Section 8 housing in NYC:

You will be responsible for paying approximately 30% of your adjusted household income toward rent, 10% of your gross income, or $50 (whichever is greater) and HPD will pay the remainder of the rent directly to the landlord, up to program limits, or "payment standards." If you choose to lease a unit with a higher rent than the payment standard, you will be responsible for paying the difference between the payment standard and the rent. However, HPD will not approve an apartment for which your total payment is higher than 40% of your income.

Example 1: You live in a 2-person household. Your income is $1,000 per month and the rent on your one-bedroom apartment is $1,305, which is also the maximum subsidy HPD will pay for a one-bedroom apartment. You will pay $300 per month (30% of your $1,000 monthly income) toward the rent, and HPD will pay your landlord $1,005 (the $1,305 rent minus your $300 tenant share).

Example 2: You live in a 2-person household. Your income is $1,000 per month and the rent on your one-bedroom apartment is $1,400. HPD will still pay your landlord $1,005, but you will pay $395 ($300 for your regular 30% share, plus $95 for the difference between the $1,400 rent and the $1,305 payment standard). Because $395 is still less than 40% of your $1,000 monthly in-come, it qualifies as an acceptable tenant share.

I wish you good luck with this and it was my pleasure to answer your question!

If I have answered your question and you are satisfied, please leave a positive rating and click FINISH.

It does not cost you anything to click and it is the only way I can get credit for my work, and of course a positive 5 star rating would be appreciated.

You can still ask me all your follow up questions, even after you please leave a positive rating at the top of your screen.

I wish you all the best in 2018.

QuickEasyLegalHelp

Also this: http://www.gosection8.com/

A free service that lists available apartments.

I wish you so much good luck getting back to NYC and reuniting with your family.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you recommend anyone to call. How does this work? If it’s a lottery then I could be dead by the time my number comes in.

I don't know anyone to call but you could try this:

Contact information

Main:(###) ###-####br />Toll Free:(###) ###-####br />Fax:(###) ###-####/p>

Affordable Housing Network*****Suite 150
Boca Raton, FL 33431

OHMIGOSH!! That national number is ***** Boca. Too funny!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not sure I understand. You mentioned Boca. !?!

The number I copied for you, regarding the NYC housing dept is located in Boca...it is just a coincidence but given the circumstances, it caught my eye.

Also, http://www1.nyc.gov/site/hpd/owners/city-sponsored-homes.page - this is a link to more housing in NYC. I see the Mitchell Lama lottery but not any contact info to get in touch with them.

One more resource: http://www1.nyc.gov/site/hpd/renters/housing-connect.page

Best of luck!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Everyone tells me it’s a lottery and I could wait for years. We’re just exchanging ino but I need a phone number or person to call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where do I go from here?

I am so sorry, I do not know a person there. I am happy to continue researching and can circle back if I find someone!

WAIT! I got a phone number!!

For questions regarding the City Sponsored Mitchell-Lama Program: (212)(###) ###-####/strong>

Can you call them (closed now) tomorrow and please let me know what you learn?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok. I can try it. What ab Section 8

Not sure I understand what you are asking.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Who do I contact for rent subsidized housing?

A phone number for Section 8 housing in NYC?

(open during business hours only):

***-***-****

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Will try tomorrow. Do you have any idea how long it generally takes to find an apt.

I have no experience with the time frames at all. But I bet someone at one of those 2 phone numbers I gave you will know the answer. I'm keeping my fingers (and toes!) crossed for you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks

You are so welcome and I see you posted a second opinion question - let me know if there is something else I can help you figure out! I think we have to wait til tomorrow when the businesses are open for the day.

QuickEasyLegalHelp
QuickEasyLegalHelp
QuickEasyLegalHelp, Attorney