Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I own a store where the tenant ( a kennel) has been for 4…

Customer Question
I own a store...

I own a store where the tenant ( a kennel) has been for 4 years. His lease requires him to be insured. Recently, I asked him for his lease and he bought insurance to prove he had it - so he was not insured for the first three years of his renancy.(I know this). Is he in violation of his lease now?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/18/2018
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 7 months ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Is he in violation of his lease now?

.

No, not now if he is in compliance with all the terms of the lease. It would have been up to you to demand proof of insurance every so often in order to catch him.. But it is possible that he may just buy it now for the proof, then cancel it and get a refund once he has shown it to you.

.

So you should have put something in your lease that states he has to be continuously insured and also that you be listed with the insurer as someone who gets notified if the policy gets cancelled or is unpaid..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much