Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My 19 yr old daughter signed a lease for a year in July 2017…

My 19 yr old...

My 19 yr old daughter signed a lease for a year in July 2017 and lives with 2 other roommates in a joint lease. After living with them, she found out one is a drug dealer and they smoke pot all the time in the apartment. She told the police and was an informant for them and told the leasing office. She is scared to live there because of this and because she informed the police. This is in Mankato Mn. Can she get out of her lease?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Mankato Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

It's a 12 month lease, with no smoking. They found out that her roommates we're smoking pot after she told them and they did an inspection, and fined them $245

1/17/2018
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Can she get out of her lease?

.

I hate to say it, but legally no unless the landlord agrees to release her from the lease. Deciding to become an informant for the police doesn't affect the legal contract she entered into with the landlord.

.

With that said, if she just moved out and stopped paying rent, then the other two would either 1. pay the rent on their own to stay 2. find a new roommate to move in to party with them or 3. not pay the rent and everyone would get evicted.

.

So since she can't legally get out of the lease, she might want to tell the landlord what is going on and then tell them that she was moving out in hopes that if the landlord did end up evicting them, he wouldn't come after her since she isn't really responsible for the bad situation other than picking bad roommates..

.

.

thanks

barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Ok, if she does get evicted, does that affect her chance of getting a new apartment to rent?