Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have tenant who died last September ; the son has been…

I have tenant who died...
I have tenant who died last September ; the son has been living there every sense with out a sign leased ( he is a section 8 tenant) and I have a contract with them. Question is can I evict based on no lease . Second what happen to security deposit placed by the deceased
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/17/2018
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

You can evict. You still have to go through the eviction process. But since there is no lease he is treated as being on a Month to Month lease and can be evicted with Notice.

As far as the security deposit, it belongs to the estate of the deceased. You need to hold on to it until the personal representative makes a demand for it. If you have any claims against the deposit you must notify the personal representative. The personal representative will have papers from the court identifying them as such.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Attorney
great job

Thank you.