Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am a tenet of 25 years as a business owner. I have 11

I am a tenet...

I am a tenet of 25 years as a business owner. I have 11 months left of a 5 year lease. The owner is starting harassing movements towards us. What we can and can’t do, yelling at customers, trying to change the outside of our establishment which is our business. It’s a recycling center. We have done everything short of causing conflict towards our working ability. This has started after we said we wanted to sell and letting us out of our lease early. It’s so bad the new buyers are afraid they will be harmed and are now debating the purchase. My question is that we are still within our lease, can they do things like that.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

1/17/2018
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

My question is that we are still within our lease, can they do things like that.

.

No, the landlord has no right to interfere with your business or do anything that infringes on your sole use and possession of the property as long as your lease is in effect.

.

So your recourse here is to notify the landlord in writing sent certified mail that you consider his actions as harassment and he is to cease immediately or you will file suit for harassment and seek a restraining order against him for his actions as well as sue for "tortious interference with contract" (which is a legal ground to sue under if someone is messing with your potential buyers).

,

,

thanks

barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Thank you very much for the positive rating and generous bonus, it is greatly appreciated!

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.,

,

Have a great evening!

barristerinky
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney