Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I've lived in a house under slumlord condition with my three…

I've lived in a...

I've lived in a house under slumlord condition with my three children for 6 years all of a sudden there was a 60-day notice on my door the house has been sold I'm being asked to pay $1,400 a month for rent and move I cannot afford this what can I do

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Sacramento California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I just have a 60-day notice and she is pressuring me to pay her rent the new owner of never met her we don't have any signed agreement and she's pressuring me to pay her rent and move I can't afford to pay rent and move

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that I've already lived in the house under dilapidated conditions meaning that the roof has caved in the toilet and bathtub leaks down into the kitchen never fixed Etc

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/16/2018
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

First, Sacramento does not have a rent control ordinance. Therefore, theoretically there is no limit to the amount the landlord can increase your rent. Since you do not have a lease, that means you are a month to month tenant. As long as you are provided proper notice, the landlord may raise rent as much as they like.

It's important to note that even if you're on month to month tenancy, the landlord cannot raise the rent in retaliation for some action you took like making a legitimate complaint or for legally withholding rent. Moreover, the landlord can't raise the rent as a discriminatory action. If you suspect that you have been retaliated or discriminated against as a result of the increase, speak to attorney as soon as a possible.

I'm sorry but this was not the question the question is this I have lived in this house for 6 years and the landlord sold it the new owner who I have not met and have no written contract with wants me to continue to pay her $1,400 a month and also moved within 60 days I cannot afford to do this what are my rights

She is the new landlord and therefore you must negotiate with her to either give you more time to move or to lower the monthly rent. The new owner is legally allowed to raise the rent to any amount they want to as long as they provided proper notice. Unfortunately since you do not have a signed lease, you are limited in your options. If you had a lease you would have more rights.

You must negotiate a lease with the new landlord or move. I apologize that this is not outcome you are looking for but I want to provide you the proper California law.

I have no problem moving my problem is I have a limited income and I need the money to move to pay the first rent and deposit that is required for the new property what are my rights when I am low income and I can't afford to pay $1,400 and move at the same time
I am a single mother with 3 children all under the age of 18
Paying her would make me and my children homeless I need to be able to save the money for the 60 days so that I can pay to move into a new place

Since this is a private residence you have no low income rights. There are specific properties where low income is given special rights but unfortunately you do not live in one of those properties. You are allowed to continue paying the rent amount you are paying now for the next 60 days. The $1400 rent may not start until the end of the 60 day notice period.

I would like to know did my card get charged 40 something dollars for what we just did how much did this cost me?

I apologize I have nothing to do with fees. I am simply the attorney that answers the legal questions. You will need to contact Justanswer regarding your credit card.

Please do not forget to rate my answer. Please remember you are not rating the answer itself but whether the information provided is the correct law.

Jessica B
Jessica B
Jessica B
Jessica B