Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have an apartment which I rent to three tenants. There is…

Customer Question
I have an apartment...

I have an apartment which I rent to three tenants. There is a no pets policy which one of the tenants has broken. Can i terminate just that persons lease? She has also been abusive to the other tenants because they told me about the pet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

MA

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

1 yr fixed term. No issues on maintainance as the other tenants are good and I have been diligent in repairs etc.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The tenant asked me if she could have a pet rabbit. I consulted with other owners in the building (it is a 4 family house and I know all the other owners well) and informed her she could not have a pet. The lease clearly says no pets. She went ahead and got the pet without informing me and told the other tenants in the apartment that I had agreed to it, which I had not. When I found out i asked her to remove the rabbit, which she has but she has started threatening and abusing the other tenants saying she will 'make their lives a living hell' to the point that they are considering leaving. The other two are good tenants and have been in the apartment for over 4 years. I dont really want them to leave.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/16/2018
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 6 months ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Will they cure this and remove the pet?