Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

What are the laws concerning electricity shut offs in NJ. I…

What are the laws concerning...
What are the laws concerning electricity shut offs in NJ. I have a rental property and I live here as well. There is one meter so all utilities are included in rent. Everyone is behind in their rent, I have taken some big hits with people I had to evict. The amount owed to me by people is over 10,000.00. I filed for chapter 13, there has been a lot of miss communication between us, mostly the paralegals. I was told that they filed for reinstatement but they did not, I don’t really know what happened. Meanwhile we are in the dark it’s getting cold in the house and there are children in the building, and I don’t know what to do, we have another snow storm coming tomorrow. Help
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/16/2018
QuickEasyLegalHelp

I am a Landlord-Tenant Law attorney expert and a former District Attorney, and I will be helping you. Nice to meet you.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not create an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I will be answering your question with the expectation that if you are satisfied with my answer, you will give a positive rating.

I want to make sure I understand what you are asking:

1-Can the UTILITY company turn off the electricity in your multi-unit dwelling for Non-Payment???

It is hard to tell if that is what you are asking so I am doing my best to read between the lines : )

Let me know which parts I got right and fill me in on the other parts and we'll go from there. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I guess the answer would be yes. I thought I was under bankruptcy protection. But my case is all messed up. It was dismissed and then reinstated, there is a big communication problem between me and the office.

Okay, got it. First off, I am so sorry this is happening to you. I can only imagine how terrible this whole mess has become!!

The good news is, New Jersey operates a program known as Winter Termination Program. This protects certain citizens from having their power turned off from Nov 15 - March 15th. A citizen who has applied for Bankruptcy would be very likely to fall under this protection.

You should contact the Board's Division of Customer Assistance at(###) ###-####for additional details on your rights and responsibilities.

I wish you good luck with this and it was my pleasure to answer your question!

If I have answered your question and you are satisfied, please leave a positive rating and click FINISH.

It does not cost you anything to click and it is the only way I can get credit for my work, and of course a positive 5 star rating would be appreciated.

You can still ask me all your follow up questions, even after you please leave a positive rating at the top of your screen.

I wish you all the best in 2018.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was on that and denied that I was. My bankruptcy is in the process of being reinstated so do I still have a chance. My lawyers paralegal said she tried with no luck

I believe that you still have a chance. Have you offered to enroll in a payment program with the Electricity company?

Also, have you tried this? You will only be eligible for this if you have a history of making bill payments.

New Jersey SHARES - is a statewide 501(c)(3) organization that provides assistance to electric and gas customers without regard to income. Applicants must demonstrate a temporary financial need and a history of good-faith payments. Households receiving benefits from other assistance programs are not eligible. NJ SHARES is comprised of a network of nonprofit organizations. Their toll free phone number is(###) ###-####/p>

Also, continuing to research for you:

If you (or the paralegal on your behalf) are refused under the Winter Termination Program, you should ask to speak to a supervisor or, if unsuccessful, appeal to the Board.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I was under protection, then my 13 was dismissed, not sure why, we filed again it’s pending like I said my case is all messed up. The electric co wants a 10,000.00 deposit and I rent rooms and apartments but I live there as well

Got it. So I am not sure what question you are asking now. I am so sorry that your chapter 13 filing sounds like it has gotten all messed up.

The electric company has a rule against requiring OUTRAGEOUS deposits, and $10,000 is certainly outrageous. You need to call the New Jersey SHARES program I wrote about (a couple of responses up). Their toll free phone number is(###) ###-#### I believe they will be able to help as they are not dependent on your income level.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would they be open now? EST

Is it 6 pm where you are?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
5 of

Oh, go ahead and click 5 stars and then go call them NOW!

Some agencies are open until 5 pm, some 6pm, some 8pm and some have a 24 hour line.

If you want to get on a phone call with me, we can call them together. I'm happy to help.

Were you able to reach them??

QuickEasyLegalHelp
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No the Shares is closed

Is there a 24 hour line for your electricity company? I think there must be. Can you call them?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They are opened till 7
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can but I don’t think they will come out tonight. Plus they took the meter. I just found out one of my tenants had someone turn it on illegally but no one will tell me who.

I am so sorry it sounds like this a such a mess. I am keeping good (warm) thoughts for you and wishing you all the best!!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks

Please try the SHARES number tomorrow first thing in the morning (during normal business hours).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
55357;�

Awesome.

QuickEasyLegalHelp
QuickEasyLegalHelp
QuickEasyLegalHelp, Attorney