Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

What are the laws concerning electricity shut offs in NJ. I…

What are the laws concerning...
What are the laws concerning electricity shut offs in NJ. I have a rental property and I live here as well. There is one meter so all utilities are included in rent. Everyone is behind in their rent, I have taken some big hits with people I had to evict. The amount owed to me by people is over 10,000.00. I filed for chapter 13, there has been a lot of miss communication between us, mostly the paralegals. I was told that they filed for reinstatement but they did not, I don’t really know what happened. Meanwhile we are in the dark it’s getting cold in the house and there are children in the building, and I don’t know what to do, we have another snow storm coming tomorrow. Help
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/16/2018
Layne Pecoff

I am a Landlord-Tenant Law attorney expert and a former District Attorney, and I will be helping you. Nice to meet you.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not create an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I will be answering your question with the expectation that if you are satisfied with my answer, you will give a positive rating.

I want to make sure I understand what you are asking:

1-Can the UTILITY company turn off the electricity in your multi-unit dwelling for Non-Payment???

It is hard to tell if that is what you are asking so I am doing my best to read between the lines : )

Let me know which parts I got right and fill me in on the other parts and we'll go from there. Thanks!

I guess the answer would be yes. I thought I was under bankruptcy protection. But my case is all messed up. It was dismissed and then reinstated, there is a big communication problem between me and the office.

Okay, got it. First off, I am so sorry this is happening to you. I can only imagine how terrible this whole mess has become!!

The good news is, New Jersey operates a program known as Winter Termination Program. This protects certain citizens from having their power turned off from Nov 15 - March 15th. A citizen who has applied for Bankruptcy would be very likely to fall under this protection.

You should contact the Board's Division of Customer Assistance at(###) ###-####for additional details on your rights and responsibilities.

I wish you good luck with this and it was my pleasure to answer your question!

If I have answered your question and you are satisfied, please leave a positive rating and click FINISH.

It does not cost you anything to click and it is the only way I can get credit for my work, and of course a positive 5 star rating would be appreciated.

You can still ask me all your follow up questions, even after you please leave a positive rating at the top of your screen.

I wish you all the best in 2018.

I was on that and denied that I was. My bankruptcy is in the process of being reinstated so do I still have a chance. My lawyers paralegal said she tried with no luck

I believe that you still have a chance. Have you offered to enroll in a payment program with the Electricity company?

Also, have you tried this? You will only be eligible for this if you have a history of making bill payments.

New Jersey SHARES - is a statewide 501(c)(3) organization that provides assistance to electric and gas customers without regard to income. Applicants must demonstrate a temporary financial need and a history of good-faith payments. Households receiving benefits from other assistance programs are not eligible. NJ SHARES is comprised of a network of nonprofit organizations. Their toll free phone number is(###) ###-####/p>

Also, continuing to research for you:

If you (or the paralegal on your behalf) are refused under the Winter Termination Program, you should ask to speak to a supervisor or, if unsuccessful, appeal to the Board.

No I was under protection, then my 13 was dismissed, not sure why, we filed again it’s pending like I said my case is all messed up. The electric co wants a 10,000.00 deposit and I rent rooms and apartments but I live there as well

Got it. So I am not sure what question you are asking now. I am so sorry that your chapter 13 filing sounds like it has gotten all messed up.

The electric company has a rule against requiring OUTRAGEOUS deposits, and $10,000 is certainly outrageous. You need to call the New Jersey SHARES program I wrote about (a couple of responses up). Their toll free phone number is(###) ###-#### I believe they will be able to help as they are not dependent on your income level.

Would they be open now? EST

Is it 6 pm where you are?

5 of

Oh, go ahead and click 5 stars and then go call them NOW!

Some agencies are open until 5 pm, some 6pm, some 8pm and some have a 24 hour line.

If you want to get on a phone call with me, we can call them together. I'm happy to help.

Were you able to reach them??

Layne Pecoff
No the Shares is closed

Is there a 24 hour line for your electricity company? I think there must be. Can you call them?

They are opened till 7
I can but I don’t think they will come out tonight. Plus they took the meter. I just found out one of my tenants had someone turn it on illegally but no one will tell me who.

I am so sorry it sounds like this a such a mess. I am keeping good (warm) thoughts for you and wishing you all the best!!

Thanks

Please try the SHARES number tomorrow first thing in the morning (during normal business hours).

55357;�

Awesome.