Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My tenant moved out Dec 31st, 2017 - the heat was off when I…

My tenant moved out...

My tenant moved out Dec 31st, 2017 - the heat was off when I went there - the water pump froze, I have 26 water pipe repairs to pay for , my boiler cracked and now looking at $15K in repairs - any suggestions

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Tenant paid for all upkeep

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Tenant was section 8 - behind by months on her portion of the rent. We were coming up on the annual inspection in December - my assumption was they had trashed the house so bad, they were not going to pass any new inspection - so they bolted

1/16/2018
Layne Pecoff

I am a Criminal Law attorney expert and a former District Attorney, and I will be helping you. Nice to meet you.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not create an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I will be answering your question with the expectation that if you are satisfied with my answer, you will give a positive rating.

I can see that you just joined Just Answer, Welcome!

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys do not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If that works for you, let me know and we can proceed : )

I want to make sure I understand what you are asking:

~How can you handle the property destruction by this (now former) tenant??

Let me know which parts I got right and fill me in on the other parts and we'll go from there. Thanks!

Are you asking: How you can handle the property destruction by this (now former) tenant??

Or are you asking something else? I am here to answer your question, I just want to make sure I've got it right!!

I would like to bring the full brunt of the law down upon this former tenant. She was throwing garbage out onto the rear deck - rats picked up on it - got into the sheetrocked ceiling on level one and stayed while eating their way thru everything. I never knew there were any rats. We found out when we got there. Do I have any standing/

YES! You absolutely have standing!!

And let me say that I am so sorry this is happening to you, I can imagine how terrible this situation is.

I would say this is the worst-case scenario!

Clearly your tenant has racked up more in property damage than you have in her security deposit, leaving you liable for the difference UNLESS you go to court and sue them to reclaim the difference.

I recommend hiring a local attorney to help you. You will need to create a very detailed timeline of everything that has happened to bring to the attorney's office, plus any paperwork you have (like the lease, the copy of the section 8, any letters you wrote to the tenant).

I wish you good luck with this and it was my pleasure to answer your question!

If I have answered your question and you are satisfied, please leave a positive rating and click FINISH.

It does not cost you anything to click and it is the only way I can get credit for my work, and of course a positive 5 star rating would be appreciated.

You can still ask me all your follow up questions, even after you please leave a positive rating at the top of your screen.

I wish you all the best in 2018.

Layne Pecoff

Thank you, ***** ***** my pleasure to assist. If you go to court and you have questions, you can always ask for me directlyCustomer