Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I live inn owned a business in Delaware, I have asked my…

Customer Question
I live inn owned...

I live inn owned a business in Delaware, I have asked my landlord to fix the leake in the ceiling from the apartment upstairs and there was a leak in the roof this has gone on for over a year. He still has not fixed the problem, I didn’t pay rent for October to December, so they would finally fix the problem, never have gave me the run around forced me to leave with 24 hours if I didn’t pay my rent ASAP, I left right before Christmas and they are constantly txting or calling to get me to pay them. I have not, and there is Black mold in the place wher I was , they know and took pictures of it and I have to, and I still have all the txtes from them. And I going to be made pay what I owe them, she and her husband are threatening to attach my wages at my other job if I don’t pay. She said she will be speaking to her lawyer. I feel I gave them well enough time to fix the problems and it still isn’t resolved. The apartment above me has the same problems. Black mold and the leaking roof.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Delmar Delaware

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

She was saying I was made pay the first 250.0 if all repairs. This is there roof that’s leaking for over a year. And the shower from upstairs also.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She first said I was not responsible, for any of that. But now I am. Cause it has never been fixed and I withheld the rent for the last 3 months. October to December. Was told to get out. In 24 hours. If didn’t pay.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/16/2018
Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 4 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer: The landlord's threat to "attach your wages" is an empty threat at this time. Before they could even do so, they would need to take you to sue you for the unpaid rent and prevail in court. However, if you have documentation and evidence to support the fact that they failed to remedy a black mold issue in the apartment for several months, you will have a defense against their claim that you failed to pay rent. Just make sure to keep all of the documentation and evidence, in the event that they sue you.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi