Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Our landlords haven’t fixed the leak in the storage she/car…

Our landlords haven’t fixed...

Our landlords haven’t fixed the leak in the storage she/car port/ roof which has led to an infestation of black mold. The leak also leaks onto our breaker box. Our landlords have yet do anything about it. And my boyfriend has told them about these leaks several times over the course of the year. but they have had people look at it and told us nothing but there is mold. I have developed asthma since visiting my boyfriend at the house and has only gotten worse since moving in in November. What can we do and do we have a case to sue our landlords for naglence?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Only That we do basic upkeep, and they do maintenance apon request.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

1/16/2018
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Is there actually mold inside the dwelling in the living space or just outside in the shed/carport?

.

Have you contacted any local officials about the problem?

.

.

thanks

There is mold in the storage shed witch shares a wall with the house, there is mold in the attic and crawl space. The ventilation in the attic from what I’ve been told the ventilation is all messed up connecting the attic to all our vents.
we are going to code informant/ city hall tomorrow

Ok, then it is likely that mold has invaded the living space, even if unseen..

.

Your fastest recourse here if the landlord is ignoring you is to contact the local Code Enforcement office and request an inspection. They can come out and inspect and then cite the landlord for all violations and force them to make repairs.

If they don't do so by the deadline set by Code, they can fine them daily and even take criminal enforcement action to drag them into court for contempt..

.

So Code is a very powerful tool that a tenant has to compel a landlord to make repairs..

.

.

thanks

barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Okay thank you