Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My rental company will not renew my lease due to being late…

My rental company will...

My rental company will not renew my lease due to being late several times. I am a single mother with a 2 year old. Do i have any rights?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

New Hampshire

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No. Just not renewing due to late payments. Can they do this in the middle of winter and where i have a small child?

1/15/2018
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Read the lease agreement to see what it says. There is no general law that requires a landlord to renew a lease in your state. They're not required to give a reason at all for non-renewal. However, if a lease gives a tenant the right to renew, that would be binding on the landlord.

The landlord tenant statute doesn't may any provisions that prevent a tenant from being evicted in the winter or because they have small children. There are circumstances where a person who is disabled can request an accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act to get more time, but it doesn't sound like that would apply here (and it wouldn't necessarily prevent a move, just delay).

It is possible to buy more time by forcing them to go to court to evict you. That can take at least 3 weeks and on average is about a month. The downside to doing that is, you'll wind up with an eviction on your record which could make it more difficult to find another place in the future.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply WITHOUT RATING so I may address them. My goal is to provide you with excellent service. Otherwise, please rate my answer positively so I get credit for the time spent speaking with you today. Mobile users may have to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Lucy, Esq., Attorney