Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I am being evicted because I could not afford my rent. Los…

Customer Question
I am being evicted...

I am being evicted because I could not afford my rent

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Los Angeles California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

My grandfather used to own the place, but when he died, in his will, he gave the house to his daughter. She gave me a termination notice about 3 weeks ago, to leave in 90 days

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

But she just sent and eviction notice in the mail

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My grandfather knew I didn’t have the money to afford all the rent, I make under 2,000 annually. And he told me I wouldn’t have to worry. But know I have my name on the contract, and am expected to pay all this debt, that I thought I wouldn’t need to worry about
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also when I got he eviction notice, I wasn’t staying at the house any more, I only received it because I went back to get some of my possessions. I found the eviction notice, after the date when it said I had to be out by.
1/14/2018
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 month ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

I have carefully reviewed your post. However, I did not see a specific question. What is your specific question?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am expected to pay 12000 dollars worth of debt that I collected while I lived in a house that my grandpa graciously let me live in. When he was Alive he made it seem like I would have to worry about meeting the rent every month. But now that he is dead, and my aunt owns the house, I’m getting evicted and am expected to pay off alcohol this debt, that I wasn’t even aware that I had. I guess what my question is, isn’t it negligence for the property management company to allow me to sign a contract to rent a house, when I don’t even have enough income to afford the house, on top of that I never had a co-signer. I was mislead, because I thought my family would take care of me, but now, at the age of 21 and an income of under 2,000 annually
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m being left with more debt than I ever could have paid. If I had known any of this would happen, I would have left LONG ago. Or I would have expected an eviction notice long before I got one... I was living there for nearly three years, and almost never made all the rent.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My grandpa made it seem like I would not** have to worry about the rent

Thank you for the information. However, I am unable to further assist. So, I will opt out to give another Attorney the opportunity to further assist you.

Goodluck with your case,

Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR, as your previous contributor has had to leave.

There are 2 issues here. First, without a lease and without anything in writing your aunt cannot make you pay the debt unless there is something in your name. So, just because you did not pay rent because your grandfather did not charge you, if there is nothing in writing saying you had to pay, you can dispute the debt based on the fact you can prove they never collected and as such support your claim your grandfather never intended you to pay rent. So you can dispute the debt.

Second issue, the eviction. If your aunt, who is now owner, wants you out, she can force you to leave and evict you OR she can force you to pay rent to remain. So, she can get you out of the property because she is the new owner and your grandfather does not own it any longer.

So you can fight her over paying any of the debt she is claiming for back rent based on no signed document. If you have a signed document saying you owe rent though, while she can try to sue you for it, you are what they call "judgment proof" meaning you have nothing at all they can take from you to pay any judgment against you.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney