Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I currently rent an apartment with my father. The apartment…

Customer Question
I currently rent an apartment...
I currently rent an apartment with my father. The apartment is rent controlled, and we originally moved into the apartment complex in 1993, and have lived in our current unit since 2001. I was a child when we first moved in, but I am listed in the lease as a tenant. The lease is month to month. If my father passed away, would I be able to legally remain in the apartment?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/13/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

Yes, if you are listed on the lease you can stay in the apartment even if your dad passes away.

I don’t have a copy of the lease, but that’s what my father says. I’ve lived in this apartment with him since we moved in, and have paid half the rent for years now. Do you think if I pay with my checks that will also set a pattern in case the landlord tries anything? Currently I give cash to my father and he pays the rent...

Ideally, asking for a copy of the lease would be the best thing to do.

But, yes, in the alternative, any type of paper trail you can create would be helpful.