Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I would appreciate your help quickly. I came to visit my son…

Customer Question
Hello..My name is***** would...

Hello..My name is***** would appreciate your help quickly. I came to visit my son son, his fiancee and his son to visit for Christmas and New Year's celebration. Upon my arrival, I become concerned that the furnace at the apartment would stop working, because of the grinding noises inside the furnace. I met the new property manager (on behalf of my son and daughter in law(to be) and asked if the furnace could be repaired (or at least looked at), as the first of the month to pay rent was a few days away. The property manager to us t o record the strange noise,, in order to prove that there was a problem. The janitor came in and had clearly no experience or HVAC skills....

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Washington, DC

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Good question..I must get the lease from my son..be back shortly...

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes..to continue..briefly..The rent was paid on time, yet NO action was taken on even having a professional HVAC person take a look..I contacted a local HVAC Furnace specialist, and was told by phone that it was likely a defective or broken "rabbit cage" (a term related to a part of a furnace motor)...The cost to repair no less than $1000..to replace the ENTIRE furnace..$3000 or more. The property manager (who we paid rent, despite the lack of responsiveness to repair problems)..evidently took our phone calls and inquiries as some kind of insult (to her skills as a self-proclaimed "property manager")...She proceeded to threaten my son and his family with eviction, if I was either added to the lease or left by 1-12-18...or I left the premises...She was using the lease occupancy terms to claim I was illegally occupying the premises...THis appears to be harassment..

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/12/2018
Lawyer: Lori, FL attorney replied 1 month ago
Lori
Lori, FL attorney

Hello. Let me see if I can assist you. You are entitled to be a guest of the tenant on the premises. Check the lease to see what it says about guests and if there is a restriction on the length of time a guest can stay. If no restriction, then the landlord cannot terminate the lease or force you to leave.

As to the furnace, I would get at least one other written quote from a reputable repairman or service company. I would recommend that your son (as the tenant under the lease) immediately send a demand letter to the landlord to repair the furnace and enclose copies of the repair quotes. You can cite to the lease provisions that require the landlord to maintain the property and its equipment in safe and good working order and that the landlord has failed to do so. Demand letter should tell the landlord that if it is not fixed within 5 days, the tenant will bring legal action against the landlord for breach of the lease seeking damages and attorneys' fees.

Hope that helps.

Please remember to accept my responses and post a positive rating.

Lori
Lori
Lori, FL attorney