Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I moved to Florida in August to stay with my son and his…

Customer Question
I moved to Florida...

I moved to Florida in August to stay with my son and his mother... the agreement was to split the bills... they moved out and shut electric of and now the landlord is trying to stop me from turning on electric and kicking me out with 2 teenage daughters. Can either be done

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

The lease was in my son's name . Mine and his were verbal.. and no on the up keep part

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just need to know my position on all things

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/11/2018
Lawyer: Lori, FL attorney replied 7 months ago
Lori
Lori, FL attorney

Hello. Let me try to assist you. After your son moved out, did you make any payments to the landlord? Unfortunately the lease was in your son's name and you were just a guest on the property. If you started making rent payments after he left and the landlord accepted them then you could have a good argument that you are a month-month tenant with rights to the property.

Does that clarify?

It was 3 days ago that he moved out

Was rent paid through end of January? If so, you have a good argument that you have the right to stay there until the end of the month because Landlord saw you move in with your son and never objected. You can demand that landlord provide utilities, etc. since you are basically a month-month tenant at this point (until landlord serves an eviction notice in a month). To fight the battle with the landlord in court is going to take too much time to get your power on. Can you ask you son to put the utilities back on?