Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My student property management refuse to provide me a place…

Customer Question
Good morning my student...

Good morning my student property management refuse to provide me a place to sleep when they were fixing my room, she ask me to sleep in the cold basement .i told her I can’t sleep there because it’s very cold she said she has nothing to do about it . Who do I report to

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?

No one has it’s located in Ontario

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

The lease only states that he is not liable for damages but I didn’t cause the damage . The pipe in the house Got burst and there was flood in the room and it was coming from the light bulb . The property management didn’t show up but sent someone to come fix it and didn’t provide a place for me to sleep

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There is foam in the ceiling which was draining all the water on my bed and I told them i only need help to get a mattress because I am in a student housing . I pleaded and she told me someone is bringing a new mattress for me but she later Got and said they are drying it up . I told them what about the water coming out from the foam in the ceiling and the soaked mattress that I can’t sleep on it , it’s not save for me . She said she can’t do anything. I don’t know the property management , the guy they ask to that I always see that make repairs when ever there is damage he ask me why I went back to the room because he was drying it , I told him I went in this early morning at 6 am because I was cold and I slept on the box spring he said I am losing a day that he can’t work. He even took my heater and I told him it’s mine later he said he mistakenly took it and he left saying he can’t repair my room because I was shouting at him which I didn’t

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/9/2018
Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 6 months ago
Michael Bradley

the standard here is whether the property is habitable

clearly your area is not, as such you can break the lease to move somewhere else

I agree that a cold basement is not an option

is this a school property or private

It’s a student property management .
my mattress they didn’t provide anything for me . They said they will dry it up . I ask them how can they dry for one day and the dirty water from the ceiling
Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 6 months ago

so private and not "owned" by the school, correct?

The mattress is not even dry after they bring it back .
Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 6 months ago

have you talked to the school about this?

No but it’s betwern me and the property people say
Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 6 months ago

I would still let them know, especially since the company deals with their students