Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

My office landlord filed an eviction when amount past due…

Customer Question
Hello my office landlord...

Hello my office landlord filed an eviction when amount past due was less than a complete month of rent. I was disputing the amount owed due to a lack of property maintenance. No air conditioning for 6 months. I was never served or informed of the process and found out that an eviction was granted while I was out of town. The property in the office included thousands of dollars in furniture, personal items and sensitive information such as thousands of files containing social security numbers of clients. I was never informed of this process and the landlord knew I would be away and took advantage of this time of absence. What can I do? I feel robbed of my business and hopeless.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Miami fl

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

1 year lease. water and electricity included but the air conditioner was broken for 6 very hot months. they sent over a maintenance guy but the unit would work for a few hours and fail again.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The property manager also breached my office multiple times unannounced & I have that on video.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/9/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Could you help me understand whether your items were removed from the property? Was there a court order that was entered against you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
im not sure about the court order. I was never served. but all my property was removed. from computers desks office furniture & break room furniture.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. So, landlords are not allowed to engage in "self-help evictions," meaning that they cannot lock you out of the property or remove your things until and unless they get an order from the court. This applies to residential and commercial tenancies. If they have done such a thing, you may be able to sue for an unlawful eviction.

You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter that they refund your money for the rent in lieu of you suing them in small claims court. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. What other questions did you have for me?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further before you rated. If you have any other questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer