Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I actually have several issues with the property management…

Customer Question
I actually have several...

I actually have several issues with the property management company I am renting from.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

NC

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

1 year lease. yes some issues are related to maintenance

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/8/2018
Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 3 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I have reviewed the information you have provided. Can you please provide additional information on the issues?

Let's start here...I placed a security deposit and paid 1 months rent on the house I live in on 9/3/17. I was told (in writing) on that date, that my rent for October would be pro-rated since I would not be receiving the keys, walking thru the property, or getting utilities turned on until 9/6. I did all those things on 9/6, and moved in 9/7. I asked 3-4 times throughout the month about the pro-rated amount for October and I was always told some one would get back with me. When October 5th came and I still had no answer after several attempts to call, my rent became late. I was then told that after review, there would be no proration for October since they dated my lease 9/1. I do not see how this is possible since I did not even place a security deposit until 9/3. After a few more days of calling, I finally reached someone who agreed, figured up the pro-rated amount and instructed me to go on my tenant portal and pay only the pro-rated amount she calculated. When I was contacted later by someone else and asked why I short paid, I explained and they told me she no longer works for them and had no authority to allow the short pay. So they say I still owe that, plus the late rent fee. This brings me to my next issue....My lease states that rent is due on or before the 1st of the month or it is considered late. It also says that a late fee may be charged only if the rent is more than 5 days past due. My rent has been paid no later than the 5th of each month (except for October), but they have continued to charge me a late fee every month. From what I understand to be NC law, a landlord may not use part of my rent payment to satisfy a previous month's late fee causing the current payment to be short so they can again charge a late fee for the current month. This is exactly what they are doing and it is outlined as such on my payment history online with them. I have received a letter today stating that if I do not pay the total past due balance (amount that should have been pro-rated plus late fee from every month) then court action will be taken the 15th of this month.
I also have maintenance issues. I requested in writing a replacement thermostat for my heating to work on 11/30. They have not responded to it yet, and we have had temps well below 20 degrees for many nights of the last 6 weeks. Last week I put a maintenance request in for a new wax seal for the toilet (at the floor), as well as a new door knob for the front door since the current one has come apart. I have gotten no response on either of those requests. What can I do??
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer