Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

We have been living in our place for 17 years. Our landlord…

Customer Question
We have been living...

We have been living in our place for 17 years. Our landlord wants to raise our rent to an amount she knows we can't afford. I am on SSDI. We pay $500 a month while managing her units here. She has told us that we can pay the rent increase or move out in 2 months which puts us at March 1st. We have come to realize that this is a hardship for my self and my wife sence I am physically disabled and not able to just travel anywhere. We have no place to go or family to stay with. I need to be close to my doctors because of the meds I take. We have asked her to at least give us 6 months to move out but she has denied our request. What are our legal rights as tenants?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

On her behalf, we are Property Managers

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How long can we actually stay here before it becomes a legal matter. Like I said before, it's a hardship on me and I need more time to find a place to live. (Jesse Garza)

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/8/2018
Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Infolawyer, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Is there a lease though in place that has a fixed rent amount?

No,moved in on good faith.
Absent a lease landlord can raise rent on 30 day notice. You can leave, negotiate or agree.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
No

what else did you want to know?

Will no longer be needing your services.

Ok, take care