Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I HAVE A TENANT IN MY HOUSE WHO PAYS MONTH TO MONTH. HOW…

Customer Question
I HAVE A TENANT...

I HAVE A TENANT IN MY HOUSE WHO PAYS MONTH TO MONTH. HOW MUCH NOTICE DO I NEED TO GIVE THEM FOR A RENT INCREASE?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

NY

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

THE LEASE ENDED MARCH 207

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

THANK YOU, NO

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/8/2018
Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Attorney replied 6 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

You need to give at least 30 days notice, and the notice needs to be in writing. You should make sure that it's 30 days from when the tenant receives the notice, so if it's mailed, add on a couple of days to the calculation of the end date. If rent is owed on the first, then you could give notice now of the rent increase, and that would be effective for the March rent (as it's less than 30 days until February).

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.