Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have a Wisconsin 6 month lease a I'm the land Lord in my…

Customer Question
I have a Wisconsin...

I have a Wisconsin 6 month lease a I'm the land Lord in my lease contract it states if any default in payment of rent there is a termination of lease and a give day notice to vacate premises.at 1201 on 6th day locks will be rekeyed .Signed by tenents. They have not played rent yet do on the 1st of January. Can I as land Lord in force this and rekey?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I've given them notice in writing

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/7/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your situation; however, I would not recommend entering the premises and changing the locks. In the state of Wisconsin, a andlord cannot resort to “self-help” measures, such as shutting off utilities or changing locks on the doors of the rental unit (see Wis. Adm. Code § ATCP 134.09 (7)).

This means that if the locks are changed, and the tenant cannot retrieve their stuff or enter the premises, they could have the sheriff open it up and sue you for each day they are off the premises.

If you want to force them off the property, you have to get a court order, which means you would have to bring a lawsuit first.

So, the answer to your question, unfortunately, is no.

How else can I help you today?