Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My organization rented out our space for a party the other…

Customer Question
Good afternoon,My organization rented out...
Good afternoon,My organization rented out our space for a party the other night, located in our main gallery which is in the lower level of a residential building for artists. The police came by to talk to my boss yesterday because the janitor told the building's administration that he found two people engaging in an oral sex act in some part of the first floor. The janitor said he also smelled weed on the first floor. There were two parties going on that night as well, in different salons in the building. Our concern is that they have no proof these people were from our party but they are accusing us of endangering the safety of the building because they found these people. My questions are these: if they have no proof these people were our guests why would the cops come to talk to my boss? If they do find that these people were from the party to which we rented out our space could we get in any trouble? Since I was one of the staff members supervising the event could I get in trouble for what these two people did? We have a contract with the building administration that we can rent out this gallery to private parties so we were allowed to do that. And we have a contract with the organizers of the event as well that clearly prohibits any of this behaviour. Could we and why would we get in any legal trouble for the actions of these people that may or may not have been from the party in our gallery anyway?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/6/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

The police have the right to investigate to determine whether or not these people were violating the law. They do not need proof at this point that these people were a part of your group. They have a right to come talk to your boss to try to figure out if these people were part of your event or not. It is not accusing anyone of a crime to come and talk to your boss about what happened. That is merely a part of an investigation.

You cannot be held criminally liable for what these people did AND they do not have any actual evidence, they just have a janitor claiming what they saw, no proof it was or was not marijuana and no proof of who these people were having sex. So, no your group could not get in trouble for this.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney