Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I rented a house in Charlotte. I was told I had to move

Customer Question
because the owner decided to...
I rented a house in Charlotte. I was told I had to move because the owner decided to sell. My lease had expired. The management company had sent a realtor to look over the house a couple of months prior to me leaving, at the owners request. The realtor stated he was recommending the owner replace the carpet if he was selling. After I moved the management company sent me a bill for $1890 in charges and has recorded it on a site that potential landlords use. I don't owe all of the charges. They took pictures after I left. A painter had come in the day after I left and took down blinds, removed wall outlets and globes for lights. Additionally, they said they spent $700 to have the carpet cleaned. I only moved around the corner so I saw them replacing the carpet. They had me use my deposit for the last month's rent. I want to challenge these charges. I moved in March of 2014.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/5/2018
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 6 months ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

I really hate to have to tell you this, but the statute of limitations in SC to sue for a breach of contract action (like improperly billing you for bogus charges) is only 3 years from the date they billed you... So if you moved out in March of 2014 and they billed you shortly after that, then you would only have had until March or April of 2017 to sue them for breach.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

I AM IN NORTH CAROLINA IF THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE. DOES THAT APPLY TO A DECLATORY JUDGMENT ACTION?

Sorry that was a typo on my part... The SOL is 3 years in NC to pursue a breach of contract action. See NC Statutes 1-52(1).

.

And yes, it would bar any actions regarding the contract after 3 years. So you have to take action within the time prescribed by law or you waive any rights to pursue it, even if you would have had a winning case.

.

I am sorry that the news isn't better..

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much