Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have a landlord and before we moved in we had a verble…

Customer Question
I have a landlord...

I have a landlord and before we moved in we had a verble agreement that I could rent his house for 300.00 a month with electric included if I fixed the Plumbing and cleaned up the place until it sold and it is just me and my 17 year old son and 2 weeks before Christmas they shut my Electric off so we had no heat or running water we are having to stay with friends and our animals .I just need to know what I can do about this I don't have the money to just go rent another place

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Upton wyoming

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No I don't know what to do

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/5/2018
Lawyer: Lori, FL attorney replied 7 months ago
Lori
Lori, FL attorney

Hello. I will assist you today. Please give me a moment to review your question.

Even under a verbal agreement (month to month), landlords must provide a safe and habitable property for you to live. They cannot terminate your lease and try to evict you by turning off the power/water. Is there an electric meter for your unit? If so, can you call the electric company and have the power turned back on? If so, you can take the costs of the electric out of your monthly rent going forward.

there was a meter but they had it removed and I paid the deposit but they can't put the meter back with out the landlord permission cause I paid half the deposit already

Then I would recommend that you send written demand to the landlord to immediately turn the power and water back on as agreed in your month to month lease. Tell him if he does not do so by tomorrow, you will sue him for recovery damages for wrongful eviction and breach of lease.

Hope that helps.

Please remember to accept my responses and post a positive rating.

I have done this already and still with out power and water
I need a lawyer

You can file suit in small claims court yourself. If you prefer to hire an attorney, you can check out the referral service with the Wyoming Bar Association:

https://www.wyomingbar.org/for-the-public/hire-a-lawyer/