Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have been a resident in this apartment for almost 18years,

Customer Question
I have been a...

I have been a resident in this apartment for almost 18years, never late with rent or caused problems. I recently fell down a small set of unlit stairs with no handrail. Since that has happened, my lawyer contacted them for their property ins info. Right after i recieved a must move in 30 days request

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Kentucky

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

He sends a letter at the end of the lease stating if you are going to rent month to month, send in !0 more than lease rate. I have personally taken the payments to him and he has never suggested i sign the lease

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/5/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about this situation. This appears to me that this may be an unlawful eviction if they are terminating your tenancy on these grounds. Evictions that are based on the grounds of your claim agains the landlord means that you may have a cause of action to either stay (stop) the eviction or you could sue for the damages that result.

You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter advising them to withdraw the eviction notice. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

I'm very sorry. What other questions did you have for me regarding this?