Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My landlord attacks me verbally and goes in my room without…

Customer Question
My landlord attacks me...

My landlord attacks me verbally and goes in my room without permission

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

I don't know

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My landlord gets in my face and screams at me and verbally abuses me

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/4/2018
Lawyer: Thelawman2, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

First, you should document everytime that the landlord verbally attacks you can goes into your room without notice or permission. You need to gather whatever evidence you can regarding this.

California courts have a number of protections in place to prevent harassment. Implied in every residential lease is a covenant of quiet enjoyment, guaranteeing that tenants will be able to peacefully enjoy their homes. CIVIL CODE § 1927. Where a landlord has substantially interfered with a tenant’s peaceful enjoyment of a unit, the tenant can sue for back rent.

If you gather enough evidence, and you want to, you could potentially convince a court that you should be permitted to break the lease without any damages having to be paid to the landlord.

Do you have any additional questions?