Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

We have a rent-controlled one-story duplex in the Atwater…

Customer Question
We have a rent-controlled...

We have a rent-controlled one-story duplex in the Atwater district of Los Angeles. Both units are currently rented. We would like to add a second story for the use of my mother (100 years old, her caregiver, ad the caregiver’s family. The plan would be to rent the unit to the caregiver once my mother is no longer living. We would agree to rent the new unit at a lowered price (affordable housing?) as a bonus to the caregiver. Is this feasible?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/3/2018
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 1 month ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

You're free to add a second story for your mother, and to offer to let the caregiver rent it after your mother passes. Since the property is currently subject to rent controls, the extension will also be subject to rent controls because the entire structure was still build prior to 1978.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply WITHOUT RATING so I may address them. My goal is to provide you with excellent customer service. Otherwise, please rate my answer positively so I get credit for assisting you today. Mobile users may have to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Attorney