Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My landlord has decided not to renew my lease. Do they have…

Customer Question
My landlord has decided...

My landlord has decided not to renew my lease. Do they have to provide 30/60 days notice? I've lived in the apartment for 18 months

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

CA

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No Never been late in 18 months

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/3/2018
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

The 30/60 day notice requirement is only for month to month leases. Cal. Civ. Code, Section 1946. There is no similar requirement for a lease for a set term. The lease terminates automatically on the last day unless the lease itself requires a particular amount of notice. Many leases do, though, so read through the document to see if they're obligated to tell you in advance that they decided not to renew.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply WITHOUT RATING so I may address them. My goal is to provide you with excellent customer service. Otherwise, please rate my answer positively so I get credit for assisting you today. Mobile users may have to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?