Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Happy Bless New Year I am a tenant where I rent from a

Customer Question
Happy Bless New Year...

Happy Bless New Year I am a tenant where I rent from a landlord. My rent is also determined by a portion fo my rent being paid by the DCHA. Here is my question. If the landlord did not properly and accurately UPDATE their records from DCHA to charge me a rent DIFFERENT from what the landlord stated on my rental payment contract for 3 years and the landlord for 3 years have me paying a different rent amount and then the landlord discovers their mistake is it my responsibility to take the blame for the Property Manager mistake. I have not missed a payment in three years under the rental payment contract that was agreed upon by the Landlord for me to pay

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Washington, DC

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

The landlord and I have been in Court 4 times Not for this actual matter at hand, they sent twice to the Court System fraudulent documents saying that in a period of a 1 year and six months that I did not pay rent for 6 months each time. Of course that was ridiculous because I rent receipts for ever month of the fraudulent claim. The courts put a stay away order on the Realtors twice. I have been paying my rents into the court registry. What it actually is DCHA told the realtors it not their mistake or the tenants. The realtors keep running me back and forth to court wasting my time harrassing me claiming they want to mediate and keeping unnecessary continuance of this case fo no reason at all. I have had to Court appointed lawyers finding me not in fault of anything but yet still the property manager keeps this charade up with their lawyers I have seen 4 different lawyers representing the landlord and nothing comes out in decision. I requested to have a Bench trial with the Judge When I return back to court for this action to take place the landlords lawyers overrules what I had requested from the judge and says the landlord wants to mediate, I was furious. another one of the landlords delays I need a lawyer to stand by me because it seems that since I have no representation the landlords lawyers seem to be having a field day They want me to miss a court date which would make me go into Default I dont think so

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I need to know Not if I need a lawyer but how do I go about retaining one

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/2/2018
Lawyer: Layne Pecoff,
 replied 6 months ago
Layne Pecoff

Hello, I am an attorney and I will be helping you today.

I am so sorry to hear about this terrible situation you are having! It sounds like they are really taking advantage of you and because they have lawyers at the hearings and you do not, you are getting "steamrolled". It is not your responsibility to take the blame for the Property Manager's error, definitely not.

I definitely recommend that you get a local lawyer to help you with this. Bring everything you have in writing with you to the meeting with the lawyer (all lease agreements, court orders and a time line of everything that has happened so far).

To find a local lawyer, I recommend you try "Martindale Hubble" (JustAnswer's rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys, themselves, use this Martindale Hubble website to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise. Here is the link.

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

Type in your location and "Landlord-Tenant"

The attorneys on the site are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

And finally, as I read your circumstances, I can't help but wonder why you don't try to move to a different home. What you are going through sounds so incredibly stressful. I wish you so much luck in getting this resolved.

If I have answered your question, please click YES/ACCEPT. It does no cost you anything to click and it is the only way I get credit for my work. You can still ask any follow up questions, even after you please click YES/ACCEPT.

Lawyer: Layne Pecoff,
 replied 6 months ago

Hi, just following up to see if you have any further questions.
Please click YES/ACCEPT or type ACCEPT in the chat box. It does not cost you anything to click or type this and you can still ask me follow up questions. Thank you!

Lawyer: Layne Pecoff,
 replied 6 months ago

Please click YES/ACCEPT or just go ahead and type ACCEPT in the chat box. It does not cost you anything to click or type this and you can still ask me follow up questions. Thank you!

Lawyer: Layne Pecoff,
 replied 6 months ago

I just want to let you know that if you don't click 5 stars or ACCEPT, then I can't get paid for any of the time we spent together.

If you need something else to be able to click, I am totally happy to help you!

It's just important that I don't lose all of the time I spent helping you.

Thank you SO MUCH for understanding, it does not cost you anything to PLEASE CLICK.