Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

The pipes re frozen and there is ice around the water tank.

Customer Question
The pipes re frozen...

The pipes re frozen and there is ice around the water tank. I informed my landlord weeks ago that the water tank was leaking and he said he would fix it and never did. He was suppose to insulate the basement and put in a new gas furnace before winter and didn't. Now the pipes are frozen for the past 3 days. I gave him a 30 day notice that I was moving this month. Can i hold the rent since I cannot even stay in the house. And he can go ahead and just keep my security deposit for it?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

West Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

It is month to month now. Not from me I have kept very clean. Just the things he has not done.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/2/2018
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 7 months ago
LandlordTenantAnswer
Good morning. The law does allow the withholding of rent but there are proper legal steps which must be taken and I have provided a link below to the law and what must be done if you are going to do this. If not done properly the landlord could proceed and evict and sue and impose a claim on the deposit for the money owed. Their actions could support a breach and you may prevail but you want to go through the proper steps
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title55/chapter13.2/section55-248.27/

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!