Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

We have a rental property and two roommates signed a lease…

Customer Question
Second opinion] We have...

Second opinion] We have a rental property and two roommates signed a lease together and now both want to stay in the home (alone) with the other roommate being the one to leave. If one person has given a 30 day notice does that dissolve the whole lease for both of them? If one person wants to buy out of the lease, what is a reasonable charge for the Ogden, Utah area (rents 800 per month)? We only have one person communicating with us and wanting to stay but the other is not talking to us (yet, from hearsay, wants to remain on the premises as well).

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Utah

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

One gave a 30 day notice

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this time

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/2/2018
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 3 months ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

If one person has given a 30 day notice does that dissolve the whole lease for both of them?

.

No, not if the other person has expressed an interest in continuing on and the one giving notice doesn't have a power of attorney for the other one..

.

If one person wants to buy out of the lease, what is a reasonable charge for the Ogden, Utah area (rents 800 per month)?

.

The typical buy out is 2 month's rent up front..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

barristerinky
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney